About, FAQs, Ingredients & How to look after your Truthbrush
The Truthbrush came from a wish for a toothbrush that was beautiful and luxurious as well as biodegradable
- The rounded ergonomic handle is crafted from sustainable, organic bamboo which is naturally anti bacterial.
- We currently stock the medium bristle brushes (adult) and soft bristle brushes (children), which are 62% castor oil based to care for your teeth and gums. Each brush is also finished with a coat of plant oil to make it beautifully smooth and hard wearing.
- Each Truthbrush is hand wrapped in tissue paper and a recyclable cardboard pillow pack. Shipping to us and from us to you, is carbon neutral to minimise environmental impact. Truthbrush is cruelty free and vegan.
- We are now the award winning Truthbrush! We received the first prize at both the Eco Excellence and Veggie Awards, as voted for by celebrity judges!
Frequently asked questions:Why bamboo?
Bamboo is the perfect material for the Truthbrush as it is beautiful to look at, warm to touch and fully biodegradable. The natural antibacterial and antifungal properties of bamboo mean the Truthbrush is hygienic too.
Bamboo is resistant to natural pests, which means it is farmed organically and needs no extra watering.Where is the Truthbrush made?
Our brushes are made in China - the natural habitat of bamboo. Moso bamboo grows up to a metre a day here as it has the perfect conditions to thrive. We know that shipping to Europe has a carbon footprint, although the amount is tiny for each brush. This is why we have chosen to carbon offset shipping both from China to us and from us to you.Why castor oil bristles?
We would love to find a genuine plastic-free alternative to nylon bristles which could biodegrade. However, after extensive research we realised that the only non-plastic alternative is boar bristles (pig hair), which would be unacceptable to many people. There are also unsubstantiated claims of biodegradable nylon 4 bristles but in reality this is not commercially available. We therefore use bristles which are 62% castor oil and 38% nylon, which means less petroleum-based plastic. We are constantly searching for an alternative, but until then, we believe that a biodegradable handle with castor oil-based bristles is much better than a plastic toothbrush.Why soft bristles?
Dentists recommend soft bristles. Soft bristles are generally agreed to be best for removing plaque and for healthy gums. Since launching we have also been inundated with requests for medium bristles, so these have also been added to the range.Will it feel different using a toothbrush made of bamboo instead of plastic?
Yes but only for a short time! For the first few days you may notice the feel of the natural bamboo instead of plastic but soon you won't be able to imagine using anything else. Occasionally a bristle may fall out - don't panic! This is simply a sign that you are using a handcrafted brush made in the traditional way - not with bristles moulded into plastic.What is the finish on the Truthbrush?
The Truthbrush is dipped in a coloured paint, which has been tested according to REACH legislation. Each brush is then given a coat of plant based oil to give it a beautifully smooth and water resistant finish.
Will buying bamboo products be detrimental to pandas?
No – The Truthbrush is made from Moso bamboo, a type of bamboo which is inedible to pandas. The bamboo we use is Forestry Stewardship Certified and comes from sustainably and responsibly managed forests in China.
How to look after your Truthbrush:
- We recommend, based on advice from dentists, that you replace your toothbrush every 3 months (although we know the Truthbrush lasts much longer).
- After use, please don’t leave standing in water.
- To dispose of your bamboo toothbrush, please place in your ordinary bin. Over time, all but the bristles will biodegrade, leaving no residue.
- Alternatively, you can pull out the bristles with a pair of pliers and re-use the Truthbrush in any creative way you can. Plant canes and paint stirrers are just a couple of examples of how you can give your Truthbrush a second life.
Key Ingredients (Truthtabs):
- Sorbitol, Calcium Carbonate, Kaolin, Sodium Bicarbonate, Hydrated Silica, Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate, Yeast, Sodium Monofluorophosphate, Acacia Senegal Gum Extract, Magnesium Stearate, Mentha Arvensis Leaf Oil, Menthol, Stevioside, Mentha Piperita Oil
Shop: The Truthbrush
Source: The Truthbrush